Monday, August 26, 2013

Meet Carter-Zion

If I had to describe my son in three words, it would be... ecstatic, strong, and carefree. He's definitely the light of my life and even though, he's a handfull, I wouldn't change anything about him for the world. On August 19, 2008, God gave me the sweetest, littlest blessing. It was a bittersweet moment. He was so perfect! I couldn't believe I made this beautiful thing, I needed someone to pinch me to make sure I wasn't dreaming. Touching him for the first time took my breath away, sounds so cliche, but really, it did! A couple days later, we were told by the doctors that he was diagnosed with ring partial trisomy 13 - a chromosome disorder. Supposedly, this is a rare disorder. The doctors couldn't really give us much answers, other than it is somewhat related to trisomy 18 and 22. It was really disappointing not knowing what to expect. We did a lot of research on the internet and found that ring parital trisomy 13 means that Carter has extra and missing information in his thirteenth chromosome. Where the information was cut off, the chromosome created a ring or circle. Some of the effects of this was polydactyly in both hands and feet, hearing impairment in both ears, and celiac disease. Because of this ring partial trisomy 13, we were told to expect developmental delays. Carter is now 5 years old... and thriving! It's been a long and encouraging journey for this first-time mom, but wouldn't ask for anything more or less. This blog was created to share the beautiful moments of Carter's life and hoping that it will inspire each reader. Enjoy!
Carter Zion - 5 years old

No comments:

Post a Comment