Friday, August 30, 2013

New Learning Materials!


I attended Carter's open house at HSDB tonight, and I swear every time I go to a school function or family ASL event, it gets me so fired up to learn more about the deaf community and ASL. So! I bought a few things at the book fair to help Carter and some family members with learning new signs.


The book and flash cards are pretty self explanatory. The book has a lot pictures and is easy to read, so it's super kid-friendly. The DVD is a story told by an interpreter that's very expressive, and it was recommended for Carter by the lady at the library. She said kids love this DVD. And lastly, I bought labels for the home. It's pictures of things around the house with the sign shown next to it. I plan to put Velcro on them and place them on the actual objects. For example, the label for table will go on on our actual dining table, that way Carter can relate to it better, and hopefully will pick up the signs easily. 


I didn't buy these flash cards tonight but I've been working with Carter on these for a while. I'll show him the flash card, then do the sign with it so he sees it's related to each other. I try to do the alphabet every night, and I'll do the other two every other night. I know one of them says Spanish but I mostly use those for the pictures and "sayings". See below. The alphabet and Spanish flash cards are from Walmart and the other one is from Amazon. 


And these are what the alphabets look like...




No comments:

Post a Comment